Name: Melishia Sooknunan
Position: Cabin Crew
- What subjects did you do in your matric year?
Maths, physics, accounting, computer sciences, English, afrikaans
- What is/are your tertiary qualification(s), if any?
I did a cabin crew course with sky aviation, iv done a introduction flight with a prominent pilot training school, which I would like to pursue in order to obtain my pvt pilot licence, and also plan on enrolling with unisa to complete a degree in marketing perhaps
- Is this the job you intended to do after finishing high school?
Not really, I always pictured myself at some boring office desk I suppose
- If not, how did you end up doing this job?
I wanted to get into piloting, and this was my next best bet to get myself in the air at least and understand the industry.
- What do you love most about your job?
Not having to work 5 days a week in a 9-5 situation and getting frustrated by traffic I suppose=)
- What do you enjoy the least about your job?
Waking up at 3 in the morning to start work at 5 am
- What do you think are the necessary personality traits for this kind of position?
I believe that as much as it is important to have the right peoples skills, its equally important to have a high tolerance, your dealing with thousands of different people all the time who don’t always aim at making life easier for you, in fact they are permanently under the mis-conception that cabin crew are just there to look good and serve you, no one really realizes the sort of training involved, ie first aid(treating different ailments on board, delivering a baby onboard if necessary, performing cpr, administering oxygen when needed), wet ditching if the need arises for you to land in water, fire fighting if theres a sudden fire in flight, and more. We play the roles of son many people on the air craft but no really takes note of.
- What can a person expect as a starting salary?
It really depends on the airline but +/- R10000
- What are your working hours?
It varies everyday, from an 8 hour day to a 12 hour day
- What advice would you give to someone who wants to get into your industry?
Come in with the right attitude, do it because YOU WANT this and not that you are forced into it.
- If you were asked to choose a different career, what would it be?
A career in aviation, it is the most interesting industry to be apart of, it’s really different and unique
- What is your motto / favourite quote?
If theres anyone that you would like to make happy before you die, make sure its yourself. Everything that happens, happens for the best, everything that is going to happen will happen for the best
Thank you for this opportunity to share with my experience in aviation, its really great to know that youngsters are being exposed to all paths and not just the normal bcom, doctor, teacher route.